Our children's service provides palliative and end-of-life care for children and young people living in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Milton Keynes.
Many of the children who use the hospice have conditions that get worse slowly over many years, so they become more and more dependent on their parents. The 24-hour care that is often needed can place a huge strain on family life.
Our children's service is a place where children and their families can come and stay in times of crisis or when our specialist support is needed.
Families can also relax, safe in the knowledge their child is receiving high-quality care from our team of nurses, doctors, therapists and social workers.
There is ample provision at the hospice for play and recreation, as well as specialist facilities for therapies and learning. The facilities include:
- Multi-Sensory Room - with colourful lights and tactile toys to encourage a child's movement and senses.
- Music Room - equipped with guitars, drum kits, keyboards and all sorts! Here the children can participate in music therapy, if they wish.
- Outdoor Playground - designed to accommodate children of all abilities, including those who use wheelchairs.
- Adolescents' Den - with widescreen television, music system, games console and computer.
- Hydrotherapy pool and spa - often one of the first things our children and their families want to use!
How children and their families use the hospice depends entirely on their needs and wishes.
If a family chooses for their child to be at the hospice at the end of their life, our staff will do everything they can to ensure the child’s final days are as peaceful and pain free as possible. They will also provide vital support for the child's family during this very difficult time.
The Meadow Suite, our bereavement suite, is available to families after the death, so they can remain in our care until the funeral.
Afterwards, our care team will work in partnership with our family support and community teams to offer ongoing bereavement support for the whole family.
All care at the hospice is provided free of charge for families.