Making sure you're safe and legal

Raising funds for us should be fun so it makes sense to check you have followed any rules and regulations.

How do I make sure my event is safe?Your fundraising event

  • Make sure no-one is fundraising in an unsafe environment. Check your venue
    is safe and minimise any potential risks. Don’t forget about crowd control.
  • Check you have the right insurance
    cover, as Keech Hospice Care cannot accept any liability for your event. For further advice, talk to the owners of the venue, an insurance broker or our fundraising team on 01582 707940.
  • Depending on the size and type of event, you may need public liability insurance and a risk assessment. Visit the government's event safety advice page for further information.
  • Only collect sponsorship or donations from people you know and trust. Ensure children do not collect money or sponsorship without adult supervision.
  • Be extra careful if you are carrying money around. Make sure you are always accompanied and pay money in to Keech Hospice Care as soon as possible.
  • Consider first-aid requirements for your event. Your local branch of St John Ambulance or Red Cross can offer advice and assistance.

What about the legal side?

In aid of Keech Hospice Care logoPlease state clearly in all publicity or promotional materials that ‘All proceeds will be donated to
Keech Hospice Care. Registered Charity No. 1035089’.

Please use the “In Aid of Keech Hospice Care” logo.

Children under 16 must not be left with overall responsibility for handling money or for counting collected money. Also, under-16s are not generally allowed to carry out house-to-house or street collections.


Keech Hospice Care fundraisersDo not collect money or sponsorship in public places, on public streets or by
going house to house. These collections
are illegal unless you have obtained a licence from the local authority.

To collect on private property, such as in
a shopping centre, you’ll need the permission of the owners beforehand.
They will advise if you need a local-authority
licence, too, which will mean contacting
the relevant local council.

Event licencesIf you are holding an event in a public
place and it includes music, singing or dancing, you may need a public entertainments licence.

If you plan to sell alcohol or offer it
as a prize, you’ll need a liquor licence.
Check to see if your venue already has
these licences before applying for them.
For more information, contact your local authority licensing unit.

If you are under 16 and fundraising for Keech Hospice Care, you’ll need a parent or guardian to complete and sign a consent form.

For further guidance, please contact our fundraising team on 01582 707940 or email us at

Paying in your money

Sign up for our next big event!